Prior to 1871, occasional services were held in Fort Dodge by pioneering Baptist ministers such as Rev. H. D. Weaver who lived in Webster City, east of Fort Dodge. He continued to be alert to Baptists arriving in Fort Dodge, keeping in touch with them as he conducted these occasional services.
At last, this group of Baptists numbered 17 and the conviction was reached that the time for organization had come. On June 16, 1871, this group met and Rev. Weaver was elected moderator of the group. The New Hampshire confession of faith was adopted, officers elected and so the First Baptist congregation of Fort Dodge came into being.
Shortly thereafter, Rev. Weaver was called as the first pastor of this new congregation, a Sunday school was formed and a meeting place was secured.